Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Making progress

As most of you know, we have a slow mover on our hands. Violet has spent most of her 16 months on earth perfecting her fine motor skills (the better to eat FOOD with, my dear). Since she started crawling (at 14 months) she has actually done quite well with progressing in the vertical direction.

We've had a physical therapist visit every week for the past 6 weeks to give us guidance on how to help her gain confidence and muscle strength (since she was diagnosed with low muscle tone at her assessment). Vi also needed inserts in her shoes since she tends to roll her foot outward when she walks and attempts to walk only on the side of her foot. Today Vi was all smiles when she crawled up to her Dora car (which I strategically packed with bags of rice to weigh it down for a shaky walker), pulled to standing, put her two chubby paws on the 'crash' bar on the back and took 3-4 steps across the living room - completely independent of any adult in the room.

If you know Vi, you know this is a HUGE accomplishment. She has made an enormous amount of progress over the past two weeks and for the first time - I really think she IS going to walk before her 3rd birthday! I would be lying if I said I haven't been worrying about her throughout this entire process.

Today I realized just how proud I am of our Viley bag of donuts. ;)

5 comments:

Tracey said...

Go Violet! I knew you were just biding your time for the an opportune moment. You are the toughest cookie I know.

Rich said...

Not sure what the big rush is for. A walking V-Bag means less TV Golf viewing. Don't forget we still have 2 Majors and a Ryder Cup to watch.

DOW FAMILY said...

yeah, enjoy the "no walking" stage! But as a mom, I can understand wanting your child to progress in a healthy way! Go Vi!!

Braeden's Beat said...

You da woman, Violet! Watch out world, here she comes!!

Adams Fam: said...

Yeah, Viley!